Search This Blog

Friday, April 20, 2012

April 20, 2012


The actual tomb structure form is derived from the line of lightwells that create a path along one of the axis of the church. The area where the stairs are creates circulation up to the top of the structure where there are special burial spaces and act as amphitheater like seating for contemplation. Each contemplation area varies in size because of the angled axis. This create different contemplation experiences. These stair/contemplation areas face each other in two points where the stairs from the lower level lead creating a larger contemplation space where people can enter this portion of the cemetery instead of just walking up to this level of the site and immediately being faced with the tomb structures. You can see this in the picture below.


After looking at the line of tomb structures it was agreed that I need to start looking at the area around the tombs and incorporating them into the design with the use of repeating forms that are already present in the site. Luis showed me the linear city by a Russian architect (I can't find his name in the book right now). He designed the city by using repeating forms and a grid pattern. Based on the size of the site and my design I have drawn a line on either side of the long axis. I have been looking at the repeating forms of the site and of my design in the hopes that I can use them to occupy the spaces within the lines and create a more interactive cemetery addition.

1 comment:

  1. for the record... leonidov...! the project for magnitogorsk...!

    ReplyDelete