Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2012

March 9, 2012

Sorry guys, I saved this and forgot to upload soooo here ya go.
I had three different schemes for my addition but after a review this is the form I chose. It was really difficult to come up with a scheme that in a way emulates, fits in with, and incorporates what is already on the site without creating a scheme that is too closely linked to their original design. Pinos and Miralles did such an amazing job with the original portion of the cemetery that there is no way to compete with them. In order to create a new functional and enjoyable space I need to reflect on the features of the design that I feel create the environment and experience of the cemetery adn try to make them my own and incorporate them into my design. So I wanted to continue their idea of bringing the plan of the dead and the plane of the living together on one plane,  the open air environment, and the burial of the function spaces. I know as a personal preference I would like to be able to visit the graves or tombs of my lost loved ones in a more private way. I don't really want to be looking at the grave of a lost family member and have the view of others mourning or have others have the view of me mourning so a big requirement of my design is to break up these mourning spaces and create private mourning and reflection spaces among the tombs. This broken up line that is pictured above shows the more private form that I will be exploring.

In terms of three-dimensional qualities or forms for the tombs or spaces I create I really want to explore the angles and lines created in my plaster cast of the liminal spaces of the chapel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment